It doesn’t matter whether the party is for a one year old child, or a 100 year old granma, a successful party needs to be planned.
Keeping it simple, there are two basic ways of planning. Lets call the first one: Manual, and the second Auto.
- Manual – scroll down and print the Party Planner & Checklist which includes detailed instructions.
- Automated – uses software to manage the planning Click here to read our Party Planning Software.
Or, use a combination of both.
Which one I can hear you asking. Good question.
Pro’s and Con’s
- There is a cost involved buying software but the cost is saved by not having to buy and send invitations (sent by email).
- Software is more suited to bigger parties with guest numbers over 30.
Having said that, the software we reviewed does not include a step by step guide and checklist, so combining the two methods is the way to go
This page is about the MANUAL method. Our party planner & checklist (free) was designed to be quickly and easily printed so readers can sit down with a cup of coffee and start planning a party.
It includes the obvious and not so obvious points that every good party needs.
No complicated software, nothing to buy, simply download the PDF and start planning.
AUSTRALIAN PARTY CHECKLIST
This list was designed for Aussies by Aussies, enjoy!
Download and Print | 100% Free – (PDF) 68K | Over 82,250 ([sdm_download_counter id=”474″]) downloads
[sdm_download id=”474″ fancy=”0″]
Follow the checklist and whatever you do, don’t leave everything to the last moment.
Here is what you will find in the PDF: Party Checklist
Party Planner Checklist
1. Pick a Date and Time
2. Make a Guest List
3. Buy, Address and Send Invitations
4. Decide on a Party Theme
5. Plan the Food
6. Plan for Drinks
7. Plan the Music & Entertainment
8. Plan and Buy Decorations
9. Consider other services (see below)
10. Register with your local Police
.. and importantly… don’t drink and drive! (specially the kids).
** Keep In Mind **
Date | Consider holidays or other events on the same date
Guest List | Best to decide “how many” people you want to invite before working on names
Invitations | Once you know who’s coming, then start working on invitations
Theme | Its much easier decorating around a theme
Food | Check out our new Party Food Guide
Drinks | Check out Drinks for Parties
Entertainment | Games, entertainers or music, check out our Entertainment Guide
Decorations | Decorations give parties feel, fun and frivolity.
Services | Photography, Cleaning, Security, Parking etc
Items worth remembering!
- Linen, Cloths, Napkins, Serviettes, Colours
- Napkin Rings
- Toilet paper, towels,
- What happens if it rains?
- Photographer Videographer Camera
- Candles (candle lighting, other)
- Dress / Costume Determination
- Gift Table > Information Table
- Hotel Reservations (Non Locals)
- Maps (to/from airport; other locations)
- Transportation – Taxi’s home.
- Message Book
- Welcome Sign, Entrance Piece At Door
- Balloon Bouquets
- Buffets – Decor Signage
- Directional Signage (toilets)
- Music – Entertainment DJ Band Backdrop
- Roasts and Toasts Audio/Visual Needs Speeches
Music and Atmosphere
Consider an area for smokers like a room with a fan blowing or an outdoor area with seating and ashtrays.
Creative lighting will contribute much to the atmosphere. Try replacing some bulbs with coloured lamps or low wattage bulbs.
Where will guests park and is there enough spaces for all guests. Scout the local area, car parks and talk to neighbours. Whatever you decide, include details in your invitation.
Consider the age of the guests and what seating will be required. Some parties may consider removing chairs from some areas to create more room for people to mingle.
Security of the premises is now a part of planning a party. Consideration need to be given to door security, invitation list checks, perimiter checks and local police intergration. See Security Services
A scented candle in the bathroom is a nice touch. Extra rolls of toilet tissue in easy view. Hand towels and soap.
Accidents and Spills
Accidents are part of life. Don’t let an accident or spill ruin the party. Have some spot remover, rags and cleaning materials on hand just in case.
It’s always a good idea to bring a small gift to a party even if the host instructs you not to. Take a bottle of wine, flowers or chocolates to show your appreciation.
Coffee & Snacks
Be sure coffee tea and snacks is available for late in the evening.
End of Party – How to get home?
Make sure you have the phone numbers of a number of taxi services on hand. Consider pre-booking taxi’s for your guests. Consider organising a car-pool for a group of friends.
After Party Considerations
What will have to be done at the end of the night?
Paying services (cash). How are you getting home? Is cleaning required, and by who? Plastic bags, vacuum cleaner, cleaning utensils and materials and a rubbish bin to put it all in.
Party hearty and have fun!
- Party Registration | All Australian States
- Party Safety Tips
- Download and print PartyPlanner (PDF) 68K
- Have we missed or not answered something? Please let us know
Here are a few more to look at
- Party Planning Checklist – web based list by realsimple.com
- All-Occasion Party Planning Checklist – Printable PDF Party Planning Checklist by hgtv.sndimg.com
- Party Checklist – web based list by HEB
- Evite Party Checklists – Evite offers 4 lists
– Party Budget Estimator
– Party Checklist
– Drink Calculator
– Party Menus + Recipes